Into The Wild by Jon Krakauer


No. of pages: 202
Rating: 6/10

Synopsis: What would possess a gifted young man recently graduated from college to literally walk away from his life? In April 1992 a young man from a well-to-do family hitchhiked to Alaska and walked alone into the wilderness north of Mt. McKinley. His name was Christopher Johnson McCandless. He had given $25,000 in savings to charity, abandoned his car and most of his possessions, burned all the cash in his wallet, and invented a new life for himself. Four months later, his emaciated body was found in an abandoned bus by a moose hunter. How McCandless came to die is the unforgettable story of Into the Wild.

Review: I wanted to read this after watching the film that was based on this book, but I think I would say, the film is better. The book would have been much better if it had been written chronologically and without wandering off to talk about other people who have "walked into the wild" and not survived. The author even wrote a whole chapter about himself, which I had no interest in, so skimmed past. It all just seemed so irrelevent to the story about Chris McCandless. But I can understand why Chris did what he did, to just lose everything material and get away from civilisation must be nice, but one tiny mistake cost him his life, and that is what is very tragic about this story. I've given it 3/5 just because I disliked the format of the book, but the actual story of Chris McCandless is 5/5, but I'd recommend the film rather than the book.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis


up