Reading Habits


I've seen this little questionnaire in so many places over the last week, so I thought I'd post about my reading habits too :)

Do you snack while you read? If so, favourite reading snack:
Not often, but if I do it's usually crisps - Doritos or Wotsits are very yummy!

What is your favourite drink while reading?
I love drinking hot drinks when I'm reading, especially when it's cold out and I'm all snuggled up. In particular tea or hot chocolate are my favourites.

Do you tend to mark your books as you read, or does the idea of writing in books horrify you?
No, never. I really can't see a need to write in books when it's so easy to write it down on a piece of paper or make a note of it in notepad.

How do you keep your place while reading a book? Bookmark? Dog-ears? Laying the book flat open?
Bookmarks, always. I never dog-ear or lay the book down open, the thought horrifies me to be honest! At the moment I'm using an Edward (from Twilight) bookmark that was a gift.

Fiction, non-fiction, or both?
Pretty much always fiction. I do read non-fiction from time to time, but I do much prefer a fictional setting as you can have so much more of an imagination with that.

Are you a person who tends to read to the end of a chapter, or can you stop anywhere?
I can stop anywhere at all. But I do prefer to get to a paragraph or chapter break.

Are you the type of person to throw a book across the room or on the floor if the author irritates you?
Not really, I always try to take good care of my books and you can't do that if you're flinging them across the room! If a book is really annoying me, I'll just put it away on my bookcase and come back to it later.

If you come across an unfamiliar word, do you stop and look it up right away?
I never have. I can usually guess at what the word means by the context it's in, but if I'm really stumped, then I note it down and look it up later.

What are you currently reading?
Harvest by Tess Gerritsen. She's one of my favourite thriller authors, so I'm really enjoying it.

What is the last book you bought?
I had a bit of a binge the last time I bought books and I bought ~ Lauren Oliver - Before I Fall, Laurie Halse Anderson - Wintergirls, Suzanne LaFleur - Love Aubrey, Katherine Paterson - Bridge To Terabithia and Jeremy De Quidt - The Toymaker.

Are you the type of person that reads one book at a time, or can you read more than one?
I much prefer to read just one book at a time, so I very very rarely read two at once. I'm a pretty fast reader, so if I'm really wanting to read something else, it's not too long a wait until I can pick it up anyway, so I usually just do that.

Do you have a favourite time/place to read?
In bed, after midnight. It's so peaceful and quiet to read at that time of night, and being a night owl it's the perfect time for me.

Do you prefer series books or stand alones?
I enjoy both for different reasons. Sometimes it's nice to just have a stand alone, to know the story will be wrapped up at the end and you don't have to wait a period of time before you get the next installment. But then again, when I find a series I love, I really enjoy that there are multiple books to draw out the great story.

Is there a specific book or author you find yourself recommending over and over?
Charlaine Harris is one I recommend an awful lot, for both her Harper Connelly series and her Sookie Stackhouse series as both are fantastic. I also love to recommend The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger which is one of my favourite books.

How do you organize your books? (by genre, title, author's last name, etc.)
I have three shelves of books I've yet to read, they aren't really organised too much, books by the same author or books from a series are beside each other but there's no order to it all. Then I have three shelves with books I've read and within the read shelves I have the series grouped together but again there's no specific order to how they're placed.

1 comments:

Christina T said...

Thank you for sharing this! I found your answers to be interesting. I may have to do a post of my own.

I am glad that you like to use bookmarks. I hate when I see books dog eared but my least favorite is one my sister likes to do (hang the book open over the arm of the couch or chair). I like to give her bookmarks but I am pretty sure she doesn't use them!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis


up